marycatelli: (Golden Hair)
[personal profile] marycatelli
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

This is not my favorite Jane Austen -- that's Persuasion -- but then, that's a high bar.   The Bennet family, with five daughters and no sons, and the estate entailed, learn that a neighboring house has been taken by a well-to-do single young man, and indeed, he arrives with a party including his sisters, and another well-to-do single young man.  Meanwhile, a charming young man, not wealthy, has joined the regiment currently encamped in their town.

In a plot involving balls, letters, long walks, a sickness, a tourist trip, a visit to a stately home, a woman whose attractions are her new inheritance, and much more, this comes to a conclusion.

Date: 2014-08-12 01:25 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] john-j-enright.livejournal.com
When I first read that first sentence - I was in high school - I thought "how stupid," little realizing that I was SUPPOSED to recognize the statement as as making fun of self-interested presumptions.

Decades later I read the book and really enjoyed it.

Profile

marycatelli: (Default)
marycatelli

August 2026

S M T W T F S
       1
2345 6 7 8
91011121314 15
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 16th, 2026 02:38 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios